We provide consulting services at the juncture of biology and other disciplines such as marketing, engineering, and investment.
Typically, we help customers understand the intersection of markets and technologies through market studies or scientific surveys. We also provide engineering services, design or review, to companies incorporating biology into their products.
Selected Recent Projects
Bio + Engineering
- Hardware design and test of an electroencephalographic (brain wave) video game controller developed for an innovative start-up.
- Prototype development of an ultra-low-cost, ultra-portable PCR thermocycler for the educational and DIY Bio hobbyist markets.
Bio + Marketing
- Technical review and market feasibility study for a new stent technology.
- Market analysis of protein-based diagnostics.
Bio + Investing
- A technical and economic review of investments in "systems biology" for a large, private wealth management organization.
- Scientific, engineering, and economic investigation of open and closed systems for producing algae to be refined into biodiesel.
Selected Recent Reports
- Biodefense Net Assessment: Causes and Consequences of Bioeconomic Proliferation
U.S. government-commissioned report to assess the bioeconomies of select countries and evaluate security implications of proliferation.
- 2011 Bioeconomy Update
A technical note summarizing the size of the bioeconomy in 2011 including an analysis of the three sub-sectors of agriculture, medicine, and industry.
- Microbrewing the Bioeconomy
A Biodesic technical note analyzing the future of distributed bio-manufacturing by examining the very successful example of microbreweries.
- High Density Energy Storage
A report excerpt explaining what High Density Energy Storage (HDES) is and outlining the technical, economic, and regulatory landscape for the technology.